CIEH Level 2 Award in Healthier Food and Special Diets
The benefits of a healthy and varied diet are indisputable. This qualification has been designed to provide a good, basic understanding of nutrition. This course is recommended for all employees in catering environments involved in the selection of menus, recipes and ingredients. It is also relevant for those in the health care and education sectors. Especially, crèches, private day nurseries, child minders and pre/after-school clubs
The Government is committed to reducing death and ill health caused by diet-related disease. More than ever – caterers need to understand the link between diet and health.
Duration of course
The course consists of a minimum of six contact hours in the classroom, consisting of a number of activities, including working in groups, videos and fun quizzes.
This is often run as a 1 day course but can be delivered over two days, subject to negotiation.
A range of subjects is covered including:
- Good basic understanding of nutrition principles and terminology
- Understand the requirements of a balanced diet and its positive effect on health
- Identify differing needs, allergies and food intolerances
- Appreciate that different groups of people require different diets to suit their lifestyle
- Knowledge of the requirements of the current legislation
- Understand the impact of food processing and manufacturing on the nutritional content of foods
- Appreciate the importance of accurate nutritional information being available on food products
- Be able to understand food labelling and it’s impact of health
- What does “five a day” really mean?
The qualification is valid for 3 years from the date of the course finishing.
There is a multiple choice question paper at the end of the course. A qualification certificate will be issued by the CIEH to those who pass the exam. In addition, the CIEH strongly recommend that all students undergo an annual refresher programme of three hours.
A maximum of 12 students can be accommodated on this course.